This week, Cedar Green, a coalition fighting fossil fuels in Oregon, is asking folks to write Mother’s Day cards and send them addressed to Dan Ryan and other City Commissioners urging them to:
- deny the Land Use Compatibility Statement for Zenith, and
- encourage DEQ to deny Zenith’s air quality permits!
Please write cards to:
Dan Ryan and Portland City Commissioners
1221 SW 4th Ave
Portland, OR 97204.
The Land Use Compatibility Statement decision will be made in the next few weeks. This is a critical time to pressure the City of Portland to act now to avert future catastrophes—spills, fires and explosions, leaks and inferno in case of a major earthquake and the consequences of Zenith being located in a liquefaction zone. There’s also reducing carbon emissions to consider, in the face of climate chaos.
Suggested talking points:
- Our community does not want this plant to continue due to dangerous, hazardous transport both through Portland neighborhoods and the Columbia Gorge.
- The air quality and blast zone issues disproportionately effect low-income and BIPOC communities.
- The plant goes against existing City commitments and policy in the 2015 declaration against oil-by-rail, 2035 Comprehensive plan, and 2016 ban on new fossil fuel infrastructure.
- Zenith snuck into Portland on a technicality, has lied about its operations, and continues to expand illegally. It should be denied all further permits.