Indigenous Water Protectors who have led the struggle against the Line 3 pipeline in Minnesota have put out a desperate national call for people to join them on the front lines in solidarity and support. Enbridge is getting close to crossing the 22 waterways that the Water Protectors have spent years defending. If Enbridge succeeds, it will have a devastating impact on the local wild rice wetlands and forests. And that’s not even mentioning the sheer quantity of tar sands oil this pipeline will be carrying: the emissions equivalent of 50 coal fired power plants per day.
XR US is mobilizing to answer their call with caravans (COVID-tested car pods who stay socially distanced from one another) from six national regions heading to Minnesota for a week of action from March 8th to March 14th. We are mobilizing locally to join a Pacific Northwest and California caravan and we need your help!
Chapters are being asked to:
- Reach out to everyone you know that might be willing to be part of on the ground support going to Minnesota;
- Amplify the daily actions in Minnesota and the car caravans on social media everyday for the next two weeks as part of recruitment;
- Raise funds for those who want to go but can’t afford it;
- Plan local support actions targeting the banks that are considering renewing $2.2 billion in loans to Enbridge the end of this month; and
- Flood the Biden administration and White House National Climate Advisor Gina McCarthy with messages about stopping Line 3.
XRPDX has set up a local GoFundMe campaign to help send local activists to Minnesota during this crucial moment.
Let’s do this!